Friday, February 5, 2010

How the trip came about


I heard about mission trips to Haiti a few months ago at church. They send crews to work on construction in the Dessalines hospital, help with general medical care, sometimes to provide eye glasses, etc.
I used to go on medical mission trips to the Dominican Republic before I had Liam and when I heard about the trips to Haiti I realized how much I missed them. I signed up to go in April 2010. Then the earthquake hit Haiti and our trip was on hold. I couldn't help but feel, overwhelmingly, that I wanted to get there and do...whatever, anything. We didn't feel it was too safe to be there, nor were we allowed by either the gov't or the church leaders.
Our trip leaders waited to hear when they could first send a group over to help. I let them know I already had all the necessary shots, passport, etc and was ready to go; basically pleaded my case, why I'd be good on the team (take me, take me!) Ten days ago I got the call that they were given the green light to send a small group and they had one more spot available. So I was thrilled and quickly got all my ducks in a row. Shawn will keep Liam (thanks; you're awesome). Bree will keep Diesel (thanks; I owe you big). My OT family helped me cover work (thanks; you rock). My Dad supported me, gave me strength, and talked through all the ins and outs of the trip with me to make a rational although passionate decision (that's us to a T). My Mom asked me if I'd lost my mind and hadn't I seen all the news stories, and where was I gonna stay, and would there be security, and "ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?!" JK Mom. Mom is very supportive, but she loves her dtr and wants most of all for me to be safe, very, very safe. She's the mom and I get that perfectly; we love and we worry. (and that's us to a T). And mom, I didn't forget to update my tetanus shot. Check! My brother Eric hasn't stopped trying to figure out a way that he can go with me so that we can work together "like we should". (love you so much T.C.). I've told Liam mommy's going to Haiti to help people. His response? "And me too?" Not this trip little man. Then he asked if I was going to cry when I was there. "Umm, maybe." He hung his head, but perked up when he heard TOY STORY on tv. Guess the convo was over. And my friends have been just awesome, wishing me well and sending prayers; occ. telling me I'm nuts. I LOVE my friends!
I've had some people express how much they wish they could go too. So please know that for those of you who I hold most near and dear (and you know who you are), you will absolutely be there with me. I'll be holding onto you tight...so no worries :) I'm in a GREAT place in my life and simply don't have the words to properly express the inner calmness I have over this trip; I am very drawn to do this right now; it's what I'm supposed to do. Pretty sure it's going to be an important trip. Maybe that helps answer some of the questions I've had. So definitely, keep sending those prayers. Our team is praying that God leads us to help to the best of our abilities. Love, Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment