Saturday, February 13, 2010

Another Good Day- the proposal




Every night our team gathers after dinner to "debrief". We each say a little bit about how our day went; share our thoughts. Can be challenging when we're all so tired and hot, etc. But, it's nice to hear from everyone. So I figured I'd blog like I spoke in the debriefing tonight.
Started with, "I had another good day." Had 3 patients return from yesterday. Eric and Jim shortened crutches so that my 6 yr old patient could walk with support since she can only use one leg as of now. The woman with crush injury from being trapped under rubble practiced again using a walker. Much better today. Now walking on her own using the walker. Yesterday she could not even stand without me helping her balance and barely stepped a few times. Awesome progress. She was really appreciative. Eric and I worked on alterations for the wheelchair of the 5 yr old with CP. I told him what I wanted and he made it happen. We all just do what we need to do. It's cool.
So, interesting case today. 28 yr old man in a wheelchair since 2004. VERY thin with diffuse muscle atrophy. Essentially skin and bones. The ortho doc, Tim, and I worked together. Found out his older brother also has this syndrome. Something like muscular dystrophy. Anyway, I figured I wouldn't get him standing well, let alone walking. But he said he gets into bed on his own. Yeah...no. 2 of us tried to stand him using a walker. No go. But I wanted him to have some success with our visit so I got 4 of us into position to help him stand using the walker. He showed some pleasure. Sometimes people just want "anything" to feel like we helped them. A couple of our non-medical people asked me if he'll get better. He won't. Emily asked me if it's hard for me to work with someone in that situation. It's not. My mind automatically switches into, "well, what CAN I do for them?"
Tomorrow we go to Port au Prince. I'm glad for that. Just something I want to see. We are taking extra precautions. Should be safe. We hear the smell of death isn't so bad anymore. The air is thicker with concrete dust than here so I'll wear a mask. My breathing problems have improved, for the record. Cough is better.
Forgot to tell you my big news yesterday. Got a marriage proposal. One of the translators had quite a crush on Emily until he found out I was the single one. Ha! Ha! That changed everything. He was pretty distraught that I was not married and wanted to find me a husband. Hmm...who did he have in mind?? Emily had quite a good time teasing me about him all yesterday. Well, it all changed today. He told Emily he very badly wanted to get to America and he wanted me or her to help him. Wink, wink. She had to put the boundaries up. Long story short, engagement is off. We were warned about the umm...forwardness of men here. It's been...interesting.
Joy of my day was talking to little man on the phone!!! And he was a chatterbox. All sorts of stories. There's nothing like hearing him say "i love you mom".
Also, so happy I got to talk to my mom and dad. They were pretty surprised to hear from me.
Better eat some cookies and get to bed. Getting up early to get to Port. Hoping for no drums or chanting tonight so we can all get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment